Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Salmon the Paleo way

I am trying out the Paleo way of eating for 30 days to see what it does for my energy levels as well as my stomach, since I have on and off issues with I.B.S. I am on day #2 and so far I've stayed pretty true to the "accepted foods" list, and have eaten some really yummy things (a few not so yummy). Anyway, after eating my dinner tonight, I decided I had to share it with anyone who wants a fabulous and healthy (and Paleo) meal. It was SO good! And, I have to say, it was the first time I actually enjoyed Swiss Chard (apparently cooking it with bacon helps.)

Meg's Paleo Salmon
This recipe serves 1, but can make more with the package of TJ's salmon.

Ingredients
4-6 oz. Trader Joe's southwest salmon fillet
1/4 white onion, chopped
4 leaves Swiss Chard, spine/stem removed and chopped
10 Grape Tomatoes
1/2 small Sweet Potato (I have read some places this is allowed, some places not, so I just used a small amount) diced
1 slice Trader Joe's turkey bacon, cut into matchsticks
Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic (I used garlic that had been marinated with an olive mix which made it extra good)

Wish I had taken a picture, but I ate it too fast... Even better, you can cook it in one skillet.

Heat up a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a couple teaspoons of olive oil and add the bacon and onion to the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring to keep anything from burning/sticking to the pan. Meanwhile, you can cook the sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl for about 2 minutes on high in the microwave to soften it so it only has to be cooked for a few minutes in the skillet. When the onion has softened and the bacon smells amazing its time to add the salmon to the pan, turn the heat down to medium and cover the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip the salmon, add the potatoes, tomatoes, swiss chard and garlic. Cover the pan again and cook for another 2 minutes. Check the fish, it might need a minute or two more, but don't overdo it because overdone salmon is the worst! It will keep cooking after you turn off the heat so if it seems almost done I would stop. Add a squeeze of lemon and enjoy! Beware the grape tomatoes though, I totally burned my tongue on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment